Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Trove Tuesday: Windsor Bridge

THIS structure, which has been raised to the extent of eight feet, is now fairly completed, and Mr. Jas. McCall, who has had charge of the work, is to be commended, not only for the excellent manner in which he has performed his duties, but on the expedition which he has used. When the work was projected, it was contended by some local folks that it could not be completed under a twelve month, yet we find that Mr McCall has not been more than seven months over the task. The raising of the structure by eight feet will prove an immense boon to those who have bean in the habit of using it, and more particularly to our agricultural community. Complaint in time of flood was frequent to the effect that communication with Windsor by means of the bridge was cut off long before the roads on the Wilberforce side were sub merged-but the cause for all this objection has now been done away with. The approaches on either side have also undergone a complete change, for the two pinches have been considerably reduced, thereby being rendered less difficult of ascent with a load. On the Windsor side, where there is an embankment overlooking the wharf, a railing has been erected, and the safety of travellers has been conserved in every possible way. Altogether a most satisfactory job has been made of the whole affair, and there should now be no reasonable cause for further complaint on the part of the population. It is a matter for congratulation that Mr W Morgan, M.P., was able to secure a grant of money from the Government sufficient to enable this very necessary improvement to be effected with so much expedition, and there is little doubt that those interested will remember his efforts on their behalf when the proper time arrives. The Windsor Bridge is now a credit to the district, and too much praise for the efficient manner in which the work has been effected cannot be bestowed upon all concerned.
The construction of a temporary bridge was commenced on September 9, 1896, this bridge to, carry traffic during alteration to permanent bridge. The temporary bridge, which was 460 feet long, was completed and opened for traffic in six weeks. The main bridge has been raised 8 feet, by placing 8 feet cylinders on top of old ones; new capsules were fixed throughout, all corbels and girders re- fitted, and those that were unfit to be used again, were replaced by new ones. A new pier and abutment has been erected at the Wilberforce end, and the bridge lengthened by 20 feet. A new 4" tallow wood deck has been laid diagonally, new ironbark kerb log 12x12, new iron hand-rails, the stanchions having balance weights, whilst the rail can be disconnected into four sections, so that one man can lower and raise in flood time. All that remains to be done now is the painting, which, it is expected, will be finished about the end of this week. All plant and gear will be cleared away early next week. The average number of men employed weekly was 25, except when the approaches were being made up, when over 50 men were employed, in addition to some 20 horses and drays. The total cost of the work was about £4000, about one half of which has been spent locally in wages, carting, &o.
Source: WINDSOR BRIDGE. (1897, April 3). Windsor and Richmond Gazette (NSW : 1888 - 1954), p. 6. Retrieved June 30, 2012, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article72551524

No comments:

Post a Comment