Crash of an RAAF Avro Anson at Riverstone – 28 April 1939By Graham Clayton, Hawkesbury Historical Society
One of the distinctive features of the Hawkesbury is the Richmond RAAF base, which has been operating just east of the town since 1925, and is still going strong 90 years later. Many different RAAF squadrons using many different types of aircraft have been based at the station during that time. By 1939 the base was home to No 6 Squadron and their Avro Anson reconnaissance planes. No. 6 Squadron was responsible for conducting reconnaissance patrols along Australia’s east coast as well as undertaking training exercises with the Royal Australian Navy In early 1939 the Squadron gained the additional role of providing conversion training on the Anson for new pilots and air gunners. The Anson was the RAAF’s first retractable undercarriage, low wing monoplane, and over 1,000 served in various RAAF Squadrons from the mid-1930’s onwards.